Exam 2 Instructional Objectives
Exam Date: 4/05/18
These instructional objectives provide you with a guide for learning the course material. During the examination you should be able to:
- Calculate the current through a capacitor.
- Calculate the voltage across a capacitor.
- Sketch the current through or voltage across a capacitor versus time.
- Calculate the voltage across an inductor.
- Calculate the current through an inductor.
- Sketch the current through or voltage across an inductor versus time.
- Calculate the energy stored in an inductor and capacitor.
- Combine capacitors and inductors in series and parallel.
- Analyze source-free RL and RC circuits.
- Sketch the transient response of RL and RC circuits.
- Calculate the time constant of RL and RC circuits.
- Explain the properties of the exponential response.
- Define a unit step function.
- Analyze a circuit containing a unit step function.
- Analyze forced RC and RL circuits.
- Sketch the response of forced and source-free RC and RL circuits.
- Describe and identify the amplitude, frequency, and phase shift of sinusoids.
- Perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of complex numbers in rectangular coordinates.
- Perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of complex numbers in polar coordinates.
- Convert complex numbers from rectangular to polar notation, and vice versa.
- Identify leading and lagging sinusoids.
- Calculate the phase angle between two sinusoids.
- Convert between sine and cosine using phase shifts (i.e., the four identities on page 373).
- Convert sources from the time domain to the frequency domain, and vice versa.
- Convert impedances from the time domain to the frequency domain, and vice versa.
- Add series and parallel impedances in the frequency domain.
- Analyze circuits in the frequency domain using nodal analysis, mesh analysis, superposition, source transformations, and Thevenin and Norton equivalents.
- Define resonance.
- Identify the resonant frequency of a circuit.
- Calculate the lower half-power frequency, upper half-power frequency, and bandwidth of a circuit.
- Sketch the frequency response (Bode plot/magnitude plot) of a circuit.
- Calculate the corner frequency(ies) of a passive or active filter.
- Calculate a numerical value for magnitude (HdB), given a transfer function, frequency, or component values.
- Design and analyze passive low and high-pass filters.
- Design and analyze active low, high, band-stop, and band-pass filters.