Handout 1: State Space Instructions
Steps for creating a state-space representation of a system
- Designate a subset of all system variables as state variables.
- For an \(n\)-th order system, write \(n\) simultaneous first-order differential equations in terms of the state variables. These are the state equations.
- Solve the simultaneous differential equations, given initial conditions and an input signal.
- Algebraically combine the state variables with the system input and find all other system variables. This is called the output equation.
- The state equations and output equation comprise the state-space representation of the system.
January 29, 2019